Recently, targeted advertising has become a completely new way of interacting with the target audience, significantly expanding the traditional tools in the form of displaying ad units in the Google search engine and harassment in the display network of its partners.
By itself, the principle of targeting is based on “pursuing a goal”, which, ultimately, in the field of Internet marketing is finding potential and actual customers. The conditions for advertising to “find its viewer” may be the interests, events and intentions of Internet users, as well as any targeted actions that they have previously performed (for example, visiting a certain web resource, making purchases, watching videos, etc.) etc.).
The principle of the mechanism is as follows:
- the search engine “Google” analyzes the actions of Internet users on the Internet, collecting data on the web resources they visit, search queries entered, information from cookies that browsers save in the course of their work;
- information is systematized and summarized, distributed into groups;
- interaction with the ad cabinet is implemented, during which the settings made for targeted advertising establish a relationship with users;
- ad units are shown only to those people who fell under the description of the targeting audience for any of the feature (characteristic) identified by the system.
What happens if you don’t use targeted business opportunities?
First of all, the advertising coverage of the focus audience will significantly narrow. Displaying ads only on Google search for key queries for many niches does not allow reaching Internet users in sufficient volume for successful business development.
Secondly, targeting by interests, events, intentions and any other specified conditions can give the best value per attracted client, which will reduce costs and increase profitability (profitability). If you do not try and test, you will not know about it, which is tantamount to loss and omission.
Third, the use of a separate type of targeting, called remarketing (retargeting), and aimed at bringing customers back to the website, which allows you to increase conversion and, accordingly, to get additional benefits. Neglect of this marketing mechanism worsens business performance indicators, leads to “overspending” of financial resources for website promotion on the Internet.
Thus, regardless of the field of activity, niche, business segment (“b2b” or “b2c”), the use of targeting technologies has a positive effect, multiplying the reach of potential customers, which leads to an increase in online sales.
This article will focus on the available options for setting up targeting in the advertising system “GoogleAdwords”, and will also clearly show the main steps, following which you can select narrow target groups, conduct various experiments with the selection of an audience for displaying ad units.
The material will be useful both for novice advertising specialists in Google Edwards, and for Internet marketers, heads of organizations, business owners, allowing you to expand the standard understanding of modern advertising opportunities on the Internet.
Types of targeting in “GoogleAdwords”
- For key queries – it is used both for advertising on the search engine and on Google partner sites. The most popular option, familiar to almost any person who created an advertising campaign and was engaged in setting it up. The bottom line is that by entering a specific search phrase, ads are displayed on Google and its content media network (CMN).
- By topics – having chosen this targeting option, you just need to add a link to the site and select one or more topics from the list. After that, the “Edwards” system itself will select suitable platforms for displaying advertisements from the network of its partner sites. Thus, you can achieve the best possible return from your advertising activities by connecting only topical sources for placing ad units. *! Works only on the content media network. ! *
- By interests – a type of targeted advertising, in which the selection of an audience is carried out based on its interest. Allows you to select target customers from the huge variety of active Internet users. At the moment, it is possible to implement it only in the CCM, however, over time, the company “Google” plans to expand its coverage to advertising on search.
- For Interested Buyers – a targeting technology that can increase the current conversion of a site by matching target users based on online shopping preferences.
- By geolocation – ad units are shown only to those Internet users who are located near a specific object, for example, a restaurant, pizzeria, sushi bar.
- By intent – targeting, which allows you to distinguish an audience from interested buyers.
- By placements – displays ad units on specific sites, which are selected and specified manually.
- On certain devices – ads are displayed only on Google partner sites when the visitor uses a personal computer, smartphone (on various operating systems). Effective when promoting mobile applications and software products.
- Remarketing (retargeting) – returning customers back to the site. To connect, you need to install a special tool – “Pixel”.
- Similar audiences – in combination with the previous presented option, you can expand the standard ones.
- According to offline data, it is one of the types of retargeting that is unique in its kind. E-mail addresses are used as initial data. Ads are shown in the “Gmail” mail client.
Typically, when setting up targeting, a combination of different types is used. For example, “interests” + “placements” + “intentions” + “demographics”, which allows you to highlight the target audience in the best way.
In this article, we will look at setting up a targeting advertising campaign by interests, while hitting the intersections with other varieties, which in practice will certainly give the best effect.